corpus-paul - Re: Prison in Ephesus?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: rfellows AT intergate.ca
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Prison in Ephesus?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 19:52:51 -0700

Dave Inglis wrote:
>As I understand it, there is absolutely no evidence that Paul was ever in
>prison in Ephesus.

Dave, Philippians was almost certainly written from Ephesus, therefore there
was almost certainly an Ephesian imprisonment. On 18th May I explained that
the planned movements of Paul and Timothy in Philippians fit exactly with
what was the plan shortly before the writing of 1 Corinthians. This is
evidence for an Ephesian provenance for Philippians, and is therefore
evidence for an Ephesian imprisonment. I suggest that you engage with this
argument, or re-word your statement above.

>However, IMHO an Ephesian imprisonment is actually very unlikely. In
>particular, it would be very strange indeed if someone in prison in
>Ephesus needed to write a letter to people there telling them that:
>“Tychicus, my dear brother and faithful servant in the Lord, will make
>everything known to you, so that you too may know about my circumstances,
>how I am doing.” (Eph 6:21)

Your logic here is flawed. Even if you were right to believe that Ephesians
was written by Paul from Rome to Ephesus, that would have little bearing on
the question of the place of Philippians or the question of an Ephesian
imprisonment. The arguments for an Ephesian imprisonment derive from
Philippians, not Ephesians.

Richard Fellows
rfellows AT intergate.ca