corpus-paul - Re: Paul's persecution of the Church

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Vince Endris" <vince_endris AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul's persecution of the Church
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 18:38:58 -0400

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query. It seems that my confussion was in linking purity laws and circumsion together. Let me see if I can summerize what I recieved from the emails.
1. The Jerusalem Chruch did not require circumcision as a means of conversion.
2. However, they did require commitment to the purity laws of the Torah (so Peter was afraid to let James catch him eating with Gentiles - Gal. 2:11-12.)
3. Before Paul's conversion he may have persecuted the church because of their differing views of circumsision.
4. Paul's split with the Jerusalem church was because of their insistance on the purity laws.
I believe that this is what I am hearing. Tell me if I am wrong.

Vince Endris