corpus-paul - Re: Paul's persecution of the Church

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's persecution of the Church
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:09:56 -0500

on 5/28/02 10:31 AM, Vince Endris at vince_endris AT hotmail.com wrote:

> Thank you for your response. However, my question is, what was Paul's
> dispute with the Jerusalem Church before his "conversion" and what was his
> dispute with them afterwards?
>
> His dispute with them before could not have been over their policy of
> converting Gentiles since they did not accept Gentiles without circumcision
> until the Jerusalem council.

Vince,
I do not think that the evidence points toward non-acceptance of Gentiles
without becoming proselytes prior to the Jerusalem council; rather,
acceptance is indicated. Even in Acts this is the case. The council reported
in Acts 15 was called to resolve a dispute about this, but the advocates of
proselyte conversion are not identified as the leaders of the Jerusalem
assemblies, such as James or Peter. They side with Paul, and Peter is the
model for the decision, not Paul. Likewise, the way Paul discusses his
meeting in Jerusalem with James, Peter, and John in Gal. 2 (I do not assume
it is the same meeting described in Acts 15, but it does not matter for this
discussion, I think) suggests that they already shared his view that
Gentiles become full members without proselyte conversion.

In short, I do not share your view here, and hence offer(ed) my answer to
your earlier question, that the matter was always about this innovative move
toward inclusion of Gentiles and the social imposition that results for
other Jewish people and groups, along with the theological justification for
this move that was claimed (which is where the confession of Jesus as Christ
comes in). I agree that it does not seem to be confession of Jesus as Christ
per se or non-observance of Torah per se that were or are causing the
tension, at least for most members and leaders of this Jewish coalition. It
is rather the policy toward Gentiles, and how this was legitimated.

Please be comfortable addressing me by first name, not title.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.