corpus-paul - Paul's persecution of the Church

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Vince Endris" <vince_endris AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Paul's persecution of the Church
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:06:21 -0400

Dear Corpus-Paul list,
As I was reading through a book on Paul I noticed something that I thought was curious and hope you can explain to me. It seems to me to be widely thought that Paul did not persecute the followers of the Jesus movement because of their take on who the Messiah was. A lot of groups had their own opinions about that. According to Leander Keck (and many others I've read agree), "It is more likely that Paul saw the developing freedom with regard to the Law, especially among the Hellenistic Jewish Christians, as a threat to Judaism and as an affront to God." However, wasn't Paul's later dispute with the Jerusalem Church because they wanted to follow Torah (dietary laws, circumcision, and such)?