corpus-paul - Re: Horsley's use of Draper

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Horsley's use of Draper
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 09:18:50 -0500

on 5/25/02 10:19 AM, David C. Hindley at dhindley AT compuserve.com wrote:

> This environment, he says, was likely
> Antioch after the expulsion of Paul.
>
> Draper sees this as a Jewish-Christian community oriented
> towards the conversion and initiation of Gentiles. These
> Gentiles are admitted without the having to accept
> observance of the full Torah, but only as much as they could
> bear. The minimum level of observance was abstinence from
> food offered to idols, and they were expected to improve
> their level of observance in order to reach "perfection."

David,
Draper's is an interesting thesis, and you have asked interesting questions.
Thanks for bringing it up, I hope that you will get something started. For
my part, I just want to comment upon the portrait of Paul that Draper
appears to work from to determine his (past) role. The part copied above
from your post could arguably be written of Paul rather than in contrast to
him; I would go even further in portraying his instructions to Gentiles to
be to conform with Jewish lifestyles, although not become proselytes. So
here I have a problem with the portrait of Paul to which he appeals to
develop Paul's place in this proposed scenario. Will his thesis work if the
portrait of Paul is altered from the reformation-oriented Law-free Paul?

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.