corpus-paul - RE: Horsley's use of Draper

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Horsley's use of Draper
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 08:29:59 -0700

>>Then again, I am hesitant to place a great degree of confidence in the
story of Acts, assuming it will likely reflect the rhetoric of the party
that produced it.<<

Would you say the same thing about the Didache?

What I picked up on in your summary of Draper was the rejection of Paul.
This is why I wrote that "Paul is seldom seen as beloved" - but he also
portrays himself as beloved in the undisputed letters (e.g. 'you would have
plucked out your eyes for me', Gal 4:15). Here he testifies of himself about
his recollection of how others treated him. (The use of eyes and the evil
eye in Galatians 3:1-2 - I wonder if the irony continues here - reminding
the Galatians of how love motivated them when Paul was with them.)

I think I am suspicious of a historical reconstruction that reflects not the
rhetoric of the primary documents but our own projections. Sometimes our
assumptions produce our take on the rhetoric.

I don't remember in the didache (which I read through Crossan's
interpretation) any demonization of Paul - Paul isn't even in view at a
distance.

(http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/Liturgical/didache.htm
l)

Bob