corpus-paul - Re: Romans 13:1-7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 13:1-7
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:24:01 -0700

It occurs to me that the background of a divinely ordered king is found in the Hebrew scriptures. The Chronicler as well as DH both play with the idea of the king often in "hidden ways" doing the will of God. (Even in Genesis and Exodus Pharaoh is portrayed as unwittingly doing the will of God) This notion is also found in Proverbs. (ie. Pr 21:1 The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.) More than likely Paul was aware of these texts. I haven't yet thought through the implications of what this might mean yet, but it does merit discussion.

These texts don't suggest an uncritical endorsement of all these rulers do, as Eric Zuesse suggests Paul is teaching in Ro 13. If these texts are somehow in the background of Paul's thought, the nuance they clearly imply might safely be transferred to Paul's thought. [just an initial reflection...]
--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places in you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS