corpus-paul - Re: Paul on John the Baptist.

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul on John the Baptist.
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:11:43 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Frommich" <eugor3 AT hotmail.com>
To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 4:15 PM
Subject: [corpus-paul] Re: Paul on John the Baptist.

> I would like to submit a few quick questions, food for thought.
>
> Does Paul really use "Jesus" as a proper name or is it functioning more
like
> a title in the Pauline literature.

I think it is more of a title to Paul whose "Christ Jesus" manifest at the
crucifixion.

> If The Baptist is the fountain head of the Palestinian Jesus movement, as
> all four Gospels imply, how can it be that Paul knows nothing about John?
Or
> more specifically, How is it that in all of the material ascribed to Paul
> there is not a single word about John the Baptist.

JB is a part of the life of the living and historical Jesus of whom Paul has
little interest.

> [Actually there is no mention of the Baptist in the New Testament outside
of
> the Gospels and Acts]

We are talking about late 1st century writings and 2nd and 3rd century
edits, times of high christology. Jesus was probably a follower of JB before
"striking out on his own," not exactly what NT authors wish to convey. In
short, you cant have JB stealing J's thunder.

> Paul knows about Baptism but not the Baptist. I find that a bit strange.
> Paul associates Baptism with Jesus.

Paul knows about the baptist but is only interested in baptism. Paul knows
about Jesus but is only interested in "Christ Crucified."

> My Last question has to do with the controversy over the identity of the
> Christ. All four Gospels find it necessary to set the record straight
> concerning the Baptist NOT being the Christ. Yet in all of Paul's letters
> there is not the slightest hint of any controversy over who Jesus/Christ
is?
> Who was it that believed John was the Christ?

Yochanon bar Zekariya was an awesome presence and a much higher profile than
the Gospels relate. He had a large following, not only in Palestine but also
in Syria and Egypt which continued to exist for several centuries..in fact,
one JB sect continues this very day. In a time of high Messianic
expectation and hope, obviously many believed him to be the Messiah.
Apollos was a JB follower.

Jack