corpus-paul - Re: Paul on John the Baptist.

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "VINCE ENDRIS" <vendris AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul on John the Baptist.
  • Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 00:29:56 -0400

>If The Baptist is the fountain head of the Palestinian Jesus

>movement, as all four Gospels imply, how can it be that Paul knows nothing about

>John? Or more specifically, How is it that in all of the material ascribed to Paul

>there is not a single word about John the Baptist.

As I understand it, Paul really had nothing to do with Palestinian Judaism even though Acts likes to link him with it.  As to the other parts of your question, I think of a very funny yet apt scene in the movie "The Last Temptation of Christ." Paul is preaching to a number of people and it so happens that Jesus is in the crowd.  Finally, Jesus speaks up and says, "I never said anything of that."  Paul says, "who are you." Jesus replies, "Well, I'm Jesus."  Paul says, "Your not my Jesus."  (This is not an absolute quote of the dialogue, but you get the picture.)  I think there are probably a lot of things about the life of Jesus that Paul did not know (and did not want to know).  Remember, he had such a fall out with the original apostles of Jesus.  I imagine they use to say things quite similar to Jesus' reply to Paul: "how can you say all of this to us, you were not even with him - we were."

This is a very amateur reply, but I hope I am close to a good answer.

Vince