corpus-paul - Re: Paul on John the Baptist.

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul on John the Baptist.
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 00:07:58 -0400

Dear Rick,

<<<I really do not see the logic in your argument. It seems to me that you
are presupposing that Galations and Acts are in harmony when every thing I
read in the two documents points to the opposite conclusion. Paul either
thought is was ok to circumsie or not. Galatians, which claims to be written
by Paul says that he would never ever give in to circumcision for any Gentile
convert. He goes so far as to say that anyone doing that is abandoning faith.

There is an enormous difference betwen using circumcision in any way to
attain or maintain salvation - which Paul would have nothing to do with -
and enabling someone to minister in places he could otherwise not enter
and to people who would otherwise not hear him - which is what Paul was
about with Timothy.

<<<Paul says he had no contact with early diciples or apostles until three
years after his conversion. Acts says he tried to join them. Thank you for
taking the time to respond.>>>

How could Paul have no contact with early disciples? He heard the
testimony of Stephen at his stoning. He engaged in persecuting the
believers and would have spoken to them. In Damascus Annanias came and
laid hands on Paul and baptised him, following which he went immediately
into the synagogues there and began to teach. Do you think he did this
without any ongoing conversations with Annanias and/or other Christians?
His three years in Arabia may well have been a time of isolation and
contemplation; we are not told what contacts he had but we can assume that
he was not in conversation with any of the apostles.

Sincerely,

Kym Smith
Adelaide
South Australia