corpus-paul - Re: Clement of Philippians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Clement of Philippians
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:56:10 -0800

Beautifully put Jack - I work with many young people and have commended those who have 'laboured with me' over difficult technical issues. Perhaps one of them will write long after my death about these things that we have known. We need to put the named into our projections with imagination.

Dave Hindley's reference may be to Origen who "identifies Pope Clement with St. Paul's fellow-labourer, Phil., iv, 3, and 80 do Eusebius, Epiphanius, and Jerome- but this Clement was probably a Philippian. In the middle of the nineteenth century it was the custom to identity the pope with the consul of 95, T. Flavius Clemens, who was martyred by his first cousin, the Emperor Domitian, at the end of his consulship. But the ancients never suggest this, and the pope is said to have lived on till the reign of Trajan. It is unlikely that he was a member of the imperial family." (from http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04012c.htm)

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,
for our vineyards are in flower.   (Song 2.15)
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca