corpus-paul - Re: Jewish origins of apostle

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <Stephen.Finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jewish origins of apostle
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:46:12 +0000

Walker wrote [regarding my question whether there
is any proclamation at all, in the emperor cult]...
> an inscription listing Augustus's
> virtues, and particularly all the money he gave away, that would
> be a kind of proclamation.
> ...panegyric competition...a kind of proclamation.

Excellent points. I'm getting my money's worth on this
e-list! I was partially fishing for information when
I asked my question, and you've obliged me.
So now we have to think about parallels with Paul. It
seems to me that Paul uses a little bit of panegyric, but
much more argument, reasoning, typology than does the
emperor cult. Paul's teaching has much more intellectual
content, and more closely resembles synagogue preaching
and Stoic preaching, in that he tries to convince his
hearers with reasons that support his teachings. I sup-
pose the emperor cult uses reasons too, "that he built this
road for us, and increased the grain supply,"but still, I
see more similar to the other, more intellectual, kinds
of preaching.

Finlan
Durham