corpus-paul - Re: Jewish origins of apostle

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jill and Dale Walker <jilldale AT rcnchicago.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jewish origins of apostle
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:15:18 -0600

>My point is that the rhetorical similarities (rivalries)
>between gospel and emperor cult do not translate into
>similarity in method of proclamation.  There is hardly any
>"proclamation" in the emperor cult, is there?  It's just
>patronage, writ large.
>
>Finlan
>Durham

I suppose after I say what I'm about to say, the answer to Stephen's
question is still no, but it got me to thinking...

If the most spectacular structure you ever saw in your life was
an imperial temple, and it bore an inscription listing Augustus's
virtues, and particularly all the money he gave away, that would
be a kind of proclamation.

If you saw an imperial statue with a dolphin or some other
iconography linking the emperor to one of the gods, or a coin
with a star next to the emperor's bust, the mythological
associations being made between emperor and the gods would
also be a kind of proclamation.

If you attended imperial games and sat in on the panegyric
competition and listened to speaker after speaker offer a speech
in praise of the emperor, that too would be a kind of proclamation.

Dale Walker