corpus-paul - Re: Jewish origins of apostle

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim Hester <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jewish origins of apostle
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:49:00 -0800

Elli Elliott wrote:

> The line of investigation I'm suggesting perhaps requires that we rethink
> "missionary work" in light of the kinds of social networks and imperial
> relations you indicate. We need to keep in mind that the imperial cult and
> the military, political, and economic might of the empire were not separate.
> Conquest was as much a matter of integrating the loyalties of key social
> sectors and influential individuals in the various cities and provinces as
> it
> was military power. Honors to the emperor, the ubiquitous statues and
> temples, etc. were all a part of this extension of influence. It was a
> symbiotic relationship. The local patrons derived honor and status from a
> special relationship to the emperor, a relationship that was strengthened by
> the honors to the emperor that they organized and sponsored, including the
> activities of the imperial cult. I would suggest that this kind of
> relationship can shed a great deal of light on Paul's language about his
> relationship to God and Christ as an "apostle" and the formation of his
> missionary project to win citizens of an alternative empire.

Although I haven't read it in its entirety, I think that John L. White's,
"The Apostle of God: Paul and the Promise of Abraham" (Hendrikson, 1999),
esp. Part Two, might shed some light on issues of "social networks and
imperial relations."

Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net