corpus-paul - Letter carriers as interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Peter M. Head" <pmh15 AT hermes.cam.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Letter carriers as interpreters
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:39:10 +0000

M. Luther Stirewalt described those co-workers of Paul who carried and delivered Paul's letters as 'partners in the communication and therefore mediators of it' ('Paul's Evaluation of Letter Writing', in Search the Scriptures (FS R. T. Stamm; ed. J.M. Myers et al; Leiden: Brill, 1969)).
I presume in this role they would have been the first port of call for questions and clarification about the meaning of the letters (e.g. "Phoebe, I'm glad you are still in town, can you help us with this long passage about EGW in the middle of this letter from Paul you gave us the other day?").

What has been done in this area?
If the answer is, as I suspect, "not much", then how could a discussion of their role be anything other than speculative?

Cheers

Peter

Peter M. Head, PhD
Research Fellow
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223 566607
Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

  • Letter carriers as interpreters, Peter M. Head, 12/12/2001