corpus-paul - Re: Gal 2:17

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 2:17
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:56:24 -0700 (PDT)

John,

Jeffrey can speak for himself, but I suspect that by
the "Lutheran" label he meant what most scholars mean
by it in referring to the "old perspective" --
Lutheran/Augustinian/existentialist/etc -- that is,
any paradigm which holds that Paul was in some way
targeting the (supposed) attempt to earn salvation
through human achievement. Augustine and Luther
applied this to guilt-ridden despair; Bultmann applied
it to the existential need for recognition; Kasemann
applied it to ecclesiastical legalism; etc. I suppose
the Lutheran view could as well be called the
Augustinian view (as Luther was basically a polemical
and combative Augustine). And Augustine wasn't exactly
a Protestant, was he?

>As Meier aptly points out the views of Sanders,
>Neusner and Vermes hardly coincide and their
>three positions have resulted in current
>debates...

No one is saying that Sanders, Neusner, and Vermes
agree on everything. But they certainly agree that
2nd-Temple Judaism(s) cannot be characterized or
stereotyped as a religion of meritorious
works-righteousness. For that matter, Meier has no use
for the caricature either.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com