corpus-paul - Re: Gal 2:17

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Billy LeJeune" <billyl AT wcs.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 2:17
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:52:42 -0500

Dear Moon,

Moon wrote

(1) If you say that seeking to be righteoused in Christ,
we ourselves were found to be sinners as well, do you mean that
Christ is the servant of sin?

I prefer (1). In that case, "to be sinners KAI AUTOI" seems to refer
to the violation of the law, i.e. eating with Gentiles.

Dear Moon,

Can it be related to the more general idea put forward in 3:22 and not
just table fellowship?

3:22 But the scripture imprisoned everything and everyone under sin so
that the promise could be given-because of the faithfulness of Jesus
Christ-to those who believe. (Netbible)

I'm reading it like this:

We(Jews)thought we were righteous, but since righteousness comes in
Christ, we must have been sinners(as the gentiles are)all along. Those
who disagree with this do so by saying it makes Christ the servent of
sin.

Is this acceptable or not?

Thanks,
Billy LeJeune