corpus-paul - Re: Rom.16:7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Rom.16:7
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:38:44 -0400

At 10:26 PM 10/14/01 EDT, CMccain125 AT aol.com wrote:
>My question has to do with the name "Junia," whether it is masculine or
>feminine? Also could you cast some light on his/her apostleship, whether is
>was authoritative or passive?

A recent article, Burer, Michael H. and Wallace, Daniel B. "Was Junia
really an apostle? A re-examination of Rom 16.7." New Testament Studies
47/1 (2001): 76-91, extensively surveyed Greek literature on TLG and
came to the conclusion that the text does not assert that Junia was
an apostle, only that she was well regarded by the apostles. Here is
the abstract:

The identification of Junia in Rom 16.7 has been a
familiar problem in biblical interpretation. Most
studies, however, are preoccupied with the gender
of the name, assuming that Junia's apostolic status is
not in doubt. This article addresses the latter issue.
The collocation of EPISTHMOS with its adjuncts shows
that, as a rule, EPISTHMOS with a genitive personal
adjunct indicates an inclusive comparison (‘outstanding
among’), while EPISTHMOS with (EN plus) the personal
dative indicates an elative notion without the
implication of inclusion (‘well known to’). This study
concludes that Junia was well known to the apostles
rather than outstanding among them.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com

  • Re: Rom.16:7, CMccain125, 10/14/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Rom.16:7, Stephen C. Carlson, 10/16/2001
    • Re: Rom.16:7, Edgar Krentz, 10/16/2001
    • Re: Rom.16:7, Christopher R. Hutson, 10/16/2001