corpus-paul - RE: Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:12:09 -0400

Brian,

>>I would like some thoughts on Paul's engagement with Greek Rhetoric
and how it may impact 1 Cor 1-3. Bibliography would be helpful.<<

The classicist George Alexander Kennedy sort of popularized the
subject in _New Testament Interpretation through Rhetorical Criticism_
(U of NC Pr., 1984). Phillip Kern recently (well, mid 90's) wrote
_Rhetoric and Galatians_ (can't find my copy, sorry, but FWIW the
author was interviewed on the Rhetoric-l list several months ago),
which questions the validity of directly applying "handbook" rhetoric
(using Aristotle, etc.) to Paul's letter to the Galatians. He was
reacting, in part, to such an analysis performed by Hans Dieter Betz
in his Hermenia volume on the book of Galatians. There has to be some
relevance to your quest.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA