corpus-paul - Re: Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim Hester <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:15:20 -0700

Brian Tucker wrote:

> I am starting a study on Paul's views of Greek rhetoric and its use in
> communicating the Gospel. In 1 Cor 1-3 he appears to be rather unsure
> about the use of rhetoric, however, we see him engaging in its use on Mars
> hill [oops that's Acts :-)]. Anyway, I am looking for some bibliography
> and possible trajectories a study of this nature could take.

You might find it useful to take a look at the bibliographies at the Journal
for the Study of Rhet Crit of the NT web site ("rhetjournal" in the
signature below) to begin explorations.

After looking through some of those, I would recommend you read at least
Part Two in Donfried and Beutler, The Thessalonians Debate: Methodological
Discord or Methodological Synthesis, to see if focusing on classical Greek
rhetoric as an analytical tool for exploring Paul's letters is as worth
while as once thought! And this from someone who spent a lot of time doing
just that!

Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net