corpus-paul - Re: challenge: on the story

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: vanepps <vanepps AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul digest <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: challenge: on the story
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:51:20 -0700

Title: Re: challenge: on the story

I second the reply of John H. Armstrong and thank with much gratitude the work, patience, and scholarship of Dr. Mark Nanos.

--
Cameron P. VanEpps
2610 Erie St.

Dear Mark:

I am not a Pauline scholar, though I try to read widely and stay on top of
this field as much as possible. I am a published author (aiming most of my
work at lay readers and pastors) and was a working pastor for over twenty
years.I am serious about the New Testament and related fields of academic
study. (Yes, I read your work with profit too!) I travel  a good bit, speak
widely, and lead a busy life. All of this is to say that your response to the
challenge offered re: Gene Edwards' book was an excellent model of grace and
well thought out scholarship. You responded in a way that was patient, clear
and helpful. I have read Gene Edwards and find him highly interesting, even
entertaining in a way, but he is not substantively convincing with regard to
the points he often makes. You provided a great lesson to all who read these
corpus-paul emails on how to enter into a proper debate that might actually
be productive in the study of Paul.

Sincerely, and with gratitude,

John H. Armstrong