corpus-paul - Re: challenge: on the story

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Zeba Crook <zeba.crook AT utoronto.ca>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: challenge: on the story
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:49:31 -0400

One problem you may run into with this "challenge" (as if those of us at
academic
institutions don't already have enough challenges) is the availability of
this book in
libraries. I am at the University of Toronto, which boasts the third largest
library
holdings in North America, with 7 federated theological schools, each with
libraries,
and this book is not here. This fact, furthermore, might also suggest that
this book
is hardly worth the time of any academic on this list. Obviously you found
it moving,
and there are some "reviewers" at Amazon.com who would agree with you, but
I'd venture
a guess that none of the fans of this conflation of Acts with Galatians (and
probably
with no attempt to account for the secondary nature of Acts) have liked the
book for
any other reason than that it was emotionally pleasing to them as Christians.

Zeb

Zeba Antonin Crook (Ph.D. Cand)
University of St. Michael's College
Faculty of Theology
81 St. Mary Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5S 1J4

(416) 964-8629
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~zcrook/

Ntsearcher AT aol.com wrote:

> I believe that most folks on this list are NOT familiar with Edwards' work
> on
> the first century story. So I'd like to issue a challenge to those who are
> interestred in taking a fresh look at the NT.
>
> Read the Silas Diary (tyndale) and let's start a thread on it. Let's test it
> for it's historical accuracy. but more, discuss the implications of
> understanding the NT from this approach.
>
> I personally will make this statement: we will never understand Paul's
> letters fully without this approach.
>
> If you read Edward's Silas Diary, i believe you will come to the same
> conclusion.
>
> Any takers?
>
> Frank Anthony
> Tampa, FL
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: zeba.crook AT utoronto.ca

ÿWPCu