corpus-paul - Re: Pauline scholars.... the Story of the early church.

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "J. M. Contabile II" <sonoclamoroso AT aol.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pauline scholars.... the Story of the early church.
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 13:48:59 -0400

Frank,

While I believe it would be beyond the scope of this list to discuss a
contemporary fictional work, I can recommend two places to start your
investigation:

Robert Bank's "Paul's Idea of Community" and Wayne A. Meeks' "The First
Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul."

I have read Edwards' "Revolution." I found it interesting, but I do
believe as a writer, and not necessarily a New Testament scholar, Gene
Edwards has a peculiar apologetic bent toward re-creating New Testament
community in the church today. In other words, I believe he has some good
points to make, but not necessarily from an exegetical or scholarly
perspective. Perhaps this is why you haven't received quite the response
you had hoped for on this list.

Blessings,

John Contabile
Claremont, CA