corpus-paul - pauline scholars... the story

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ntsearcher AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: pauline scholars... the story
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 08:18:04 EDT

I know Rob Banks personally and read his book. I've also read Wayne Meeks
book. They are not THE STORY.

Edward's is not fiction. it is historical fiction that is heavily based on NT
scholarship and church history.

I think it's easy to broadbrush his work, without recognizing the drastic
uniqueness of it.

Can you name a scholar anywhere on the earth in any time that put together an
entire story of the first century church from Pentecost to Patmos? Thus
giving us the whole panaromic backdrop of each of Paul's letters in
chronological order. I realize some are disputed, but the point is, where are
those scholars that have put together a model of the first-century in
chronological order.

To my mind, Edwards is the only one that's done this. One other attempted
this: coneybear and howsen. But their work is very outdated.

Anyways, you seem to brush off what Edwards has written in the book you read.
But I find nothing in it that contradicted the findings of church historians
and NT scholars... including Banks' work.

Can you name me a flaw in it... specifically.

Frank Anthony,
Tampa, FL