corpus-paul - Re: Paul's gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Ron Price" <ron.price AT virgin.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's gospel
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:32:49 +0000

I wrote:

>> My intention was to focus on theological assertions pioneered by Paul.
>> There is abundant evidence that the title "Messiah" was adopted by Jesus
>> and applied to him by Peter et al. before the crucifixion. The
>> application of the title "Messiah" to Jesus was therefore not pioneered
>> by Paul.

Sheila McGinn replied:

>Really? I would love to see where you find this "abundant evidence,"
>especially given
>the standard criteria for historicity in "historical Jesus" research (in
>this case,
>especially the criterion of discontinuity).

Sheila,

The criterion of discontinuity has been used in different ways. So you
would need to explain how you think it applies to the use of the label
"Messiah" for Jesus if you want me to comment on it.

My case is as follows (taken from one of my postings to XTalk in Aug
1999):

Jesus' messiahship was already so well established by Paul's time
that in his letters he usually indicated it by the use of a proper name
("Christ"). The idea that Jesus was the Messiah could not have arisen
after the crucifixion because the Jewish scriptures apparently did not
foretell the death of the Messiah, and certainly did not foretell his
crucifixion.
So Peter et al. must have thought Jesus was the Messiah whilst he
was alive. The remaining question is whether Jesus himself accepted
this. There are several indications that he did.
(a) The so-called "messianic secret" in Mark's gospel is nowadays
increasingly accepted as a fabrication of the author. Mark knew the
connection between messiahship and nationalism, and he was muddying the
water so as to make Jesus more palatable in a Roman environment.
(b) In spite of these concerns, Mark felt obliged to tell the story of
Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem. In it Jesus acts out the
prophecy of Zech. 9:9, openly publicizing his claim to be the Messiah.
(c) The story of the anointing (Mark 14:3-9) is probably a distorted
account of the ceremony in which Jesus was formally recognized as the
Messiah (= the Anointed One).
(d) Mark records that the inscription on the cross was "The King of the
Jews" (15:26). This also suggests that Jesus had behaved as if he were
the Messiah-king. Mark is unlikely to have invented the wording here,
because in 12:35-37 he tries to dissociate kingship from the Messiah.

Thus, I contend, Paul was not the first to apply the label "Messiah"
to Jesus.

Ron Price

Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

e-mail: ron.price AT virgin.net