corpus-paul - Re: Paul's gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's gospel
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:14:09 +1100

Ron Price wrote:
> By the way, you didn't explain how on your view the Galatian and
> Corinthian texts referenced above can be reconciled.

What is claimed in Galatians is that Paul first received his gospel by way
of revelation (1:11-12) and that later he presented this material to the
Jerusalem leaders (2:1-2) who agreed in full, on Paul's reckoning. This
comparison of 'gospels' must have involved some explanation of what was
preached by both parties. Thus, Paul, who initially gained his gospel by
revelation was now a recipient of the Jerusalem tradition as well.
Paul's rhetorical strategy in Galatians does not require him to emphasise
this latter element, only the divinely authoritative aspect of his
commission and revelation. In Corinthians, however, it is precisely the
'traditional' nature of his knowledge of the gospel that is needed to foil
the theological aberrations in Corinth. Thus, with honesty Paul can claim to
have received the PARADOSIS (thinking of his Jerusalem encounter) just as
the Corinthians had.
If it is asked, "How is it possible that Paul's 'revelation' (Gal 1:11-12)
could correspond so directly with the Jerusalem tradition?", my answer would
be that Saul the persecutor (Gal 1:13) must have had sufficient knowledge of
the messianic sect's beliefs to have decided to act against them. This
knowledge did not derive from PARADOSIS, of course, but from rumour or
perhaps interrogation. At the time of Paul's revelation of the Son of God
(Gal 1:15-16), however, these 'rumours' would have become validated as
'truths' in the apostle's mind and so were immediately incorporated into his
preaching. Such a process could easily be described by Paul in the words:
"for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I
received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ" (Gal 1:12).
Thus, at this point, I see no contradiction or historical problem in the
arguments of Galatians and 1 Corinthians.
Regards,
John Dickson
Department of Ancient History
Macquarie University
Sydney, Australia

---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: jdickson AT bigpond.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')