corpus-paul - Re: Paul as the beloved disciple

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as the beloved disciple
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 04:15:53 -0800 (PST)

Mike wrote:

> Loren, your analogy is extremely weak. Paul as
> persecutor of Christians in
> Judea would hardly be as anonymous a subject passing
> in a crowd as an
> ex-peace corps volunteer.

Mike, the analogy isn't weak at all. If an ex-pat
leaves a certain "legacy" behind herself in a village,
leaves service, then returns 5 years later to a large
measure of non-recognition and unfamiliarity (an
actual case I'm thinking of)...well, this is as close
to an appropriate analogy one could ask for. This
person qualified no more as an "anonymous subject"
than Paul! Obviously many Judeans would remember the
"legacy of Paul's persecutions". But, equally
obviously, many of them wouldn't be quick to know him
"by sight" after all this time.

> There is no reason why not to pursue Bornkamm's line
> of reasoning and see
> where it takes us.

Others besides Bornkamm have proposed that Paul did
not persecute Christians in Judea (Francis Watson
comes to mind). I remain unconvinced.

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua, NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com