corpus-paul - Re: Paul as the beloved disciple

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Billy Evans" <bevans AT cinci.rr.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as the beloved disciple
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 21:14:15 -0500

In addition to Mark's information regarding Paul as the BD Charlesworth
added B W Bacon of 1907 and K Hanhart of 1984 postulated the same (The
Beloved Disciple pp159ff). Charlesworth listed 23 possible votes by
scholars for the BD. I posted these on the Johannine Literature site on Dec
26.

--William J Evans Jr
grad of Hebrew Union College--Cincinnati
Dissertation with UNISA
10251 Pendery Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
bevans AT cinci.rr.com

----------
>From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
>To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [corpus-paul] Re: Paul as the beloved disciple
>Date: Thu, Jan 4, 2001, 7:48 PM
>

> On 4 Jan 2001, at 10:39, leaddriver wrote:
>
>> Did Paul go "from laying on the bosom of Jesus" to administrating
>> death warrants against the believer's? Highly unlikely!
>
> Goulder's case is based not on the idea that the historical Paul
> knew Jesus pre-Easter. He thinks that the author of the Fourth
> Gospel "inferred" Paul's presence at Jesus' side from an ingenious
> but mistaken reading of Galatians and 1 Corinthians. For what it's
> worth, I think it is probably the least convincing of any of Michael
> Goulder's theories, and yet -- like all of his work -- it is worth
> reading nonetheless.
>
> Mark
> -----------------------------
> Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
> Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
> Birmingham B15 2TT
> United Kingdom
>
> http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
> Homepage
> http://NTGateway.com
> The New Testament Gateway
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: bevans AT cinci.rr.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')