corpus-paul - Re: Pauline and Johannine theology (was:"Paul as the beloved disciple")

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline and Johannine theology (was:"Paul as the beloved disciple")
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 08:57:23 -0500

Ron Price wrote:

> There are at least three theological assertions about Jesus for which the
> earliest
> testimony appears in Paul's letter to the Thessalonians (1 Thess 1:10):
> (1) Jesus is the "Son of God"
> (2) Jesus rose from the dead
> (3) Jesus is a spiritual saviour (the adjective here is to distinguish the
> concept
> from that of Messiah)

Ron, you will note that, first of all, Paul's favorite title for Jesus is
Christos/Messiah. Secondly, in 1 Th 1:10, Paul does NOT say that Jesus "rose
from the
dead" but rather that he "was raised" (passive voice). Thus, your last two
points
actually are not found in 1 Thess and, in my view, are fundamentally distinct
from the
"Pauline view."

Sheila McGinn
begin:vcard
n:McGinn, Ph.D.;Sheila E.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.jcu.edu/bible/mcginn
org:John Carroll University;Religious Studies
adr:;;20700 N. Park Blvd.;University Heights;Ohio;44118;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor, Biblical Studies & Early Christianity
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
end:vcard

  • Re: Pauline and Johannine theology (was:"Paul as the beloved disciple"), Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D., 01/08/2001