corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "W.S. Campbell" <WS.Campbell AT lamp.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:37:27 +0000

Dear Peter,

be useful to look at Wilhelm Pauck on Luther's Lectures on Romans(Library
of Christian Classics Vol XV).
Peter Gorday's book, Principles of Patristic Exegesis may also be helpful.

Bill

At 17:08 01/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>"If Lyra had not played (his Lyre?), Luther would not have danced".
>
>Edgar Krentz wrote:
>

>>I am surprised that you cite no interpreter between Augustine and the
>>Reformation. Did the Victorines, Thomas Aquinas, Nicolas of Lyra have
>>nothing to contribute? When did the shift to the literal sense begin.
>>
>>Si Lyra non lyrasset,
>>Lutherus non saltassat.
>
>Interesting, challenging, and helpful.
>Which Victorines do you mean? ODCC names William of Champeaux, Adam, Hugh,
>Richard, and Walter of St. Victor. But which are the Pauline scholars?
>On Aquinas I was proposing to take a look at Aquinas' commentary on
>Galatians for the course. Is there something else that is important?
>Nicholas of Lyre (ODCC again) is new to me. But that looks like my loss
>(over 100 editions of his commentaries between 1471 and 1600!!) and
>Luther's gain.
>This is new territory for me (hence the lectures, hence tapping in to the
>help of the list). I can't imagine that I'll get much time on them.

>Peter

>Dr. Peter M. Head
>Tyndale House
>36 Selwyn Gardens
>Cambridge CB3 9BA
>Tel: 01223 566607
>Fax: 01223 566608
>email: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: WS.Campbell AT lamp.ac.uk
$subst('Email.Unsub')

Dr. William S. Campbell
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Wales, Lampeter
Lampeter
Dyfed
SA48 7ED