corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "myron kauk" <myronkauk AT integrityonline30.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 16:44:21 -0600

Greetings:

I've been watching this thread with great interest. Peter's revised
schedule for 8 lectures stands as:

>1. Marcion, Irenaeus, canon formation.
>
>2. Augustine, Luther, reformed theology
>
>3. Baur, Lightfoot, historical reconstructions
>
>4. Schweitzer, reactions to "liberal" and "history of religions" approaches
>
>5. Bultmann & Käsemann
>
>6. Davies, Stendahl
>
>7. Sanders, "New Perspective: antecedents and interests"
>
>8. Contemporary Options: Dunn, Meeks et al.

I have two comments.

1) The jump from Augustine to Luther (timewise) is indeed large. While I
agree that Luther/Calvin were essentially going back to Augustine and
building on his ideas, the fact that their movement was considered a
reformation means that something had happened to the interpretation of Paul
in the interim. It may be difficult to select one representative figure for
this medieval period but the shift in thinking needs to be addressed.

2) I find it curious that Barth has not made your list. His commentary on
Romans hit like a bombshell.

My list would end up something like this:

1. Marcion, Irenaeus
2. Augustine
3. Medieval understanding of Paul
4. Luther, Calvin
5. Baur, Lightfoot
6. Schweitzer
7. Bultmann, Kasemann
8. Barth
9. The New Perspective - Stendahl, Davies, Sanders, Dunn
10. Recent Developments

I realize this is 10 items instead of 8 so some combining would have to be
done.

Grace be with you,

Myron C. Kauk
myronkauk AT iolky.com