corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk (Peter M. Head)
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:19:51 +0000

Many thanks to Andrew Goddard from Wycliffe Hall for all the info on
Aquinas. That is helpful information, and has a contemporary edge as well.
Please say hello to my mother-in-law who is one of your students!

Myron C. Kauk also drew attention to the medieval period and its
importance, but then broke all the rules in suggesting ten lectures. Here
in Cambridge terms are eight weeks long (and traditions have their place
after seven hundred years!).

As for Barth, as far as I am concerned his commentary on Romans influenced
practically no one in terms of NT exegesis and interpretation. It made its
impact on systemtatic theology and the end of the "liberal" dominance.
Possibly it offered some encouragement to the young Bultmann, although
judging by their correspondence Bultmann always thought Barth was ignoring
too many critical and exegetical details. Others may appreciate Barth more
than me. In any case it is probably the preface rather than the commentary
itself which is important.

Perhaps Barth influenced preaching on Romans more than NT scholarship. In
what I have read Martin Lloyd-Jones often sounds like Barth.

Then it is his exegetical sections in CD which influence Cranfield (but
tend to be the less convincing parts of Cranfield [?]).

Anyway, I suppose he should get a mention, but a whole session? No way!

Thanks to Stephen Pegler for his comment re Tom Wright and his genealogy
(which I couldn't figure out). Wright is useful but brief, plenty of shwash
to buckle with. He also wrote some early stuff on Kasemann which is
interesting. I guess his volume on Pauline Theology might have a
substantial history of research (when it emerges).

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to those who are bored by the whole thing.

Peter

Dr. Peter M. Head
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens