corpus-paul - 2 Corinthians 5:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 2 Corinthians 5:16
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:12:32 -0400

I agree with both Jerry Sumney and Jeffrey Gibson that some serious
discussion of 2 Cor 5:16 would be a great idea. Jeffrey was kind enough
to say how he thinks 2 Cor 5:16 ought to be interpreted; perhaps many of
the rest of us should follow suit! I have just taken the liberty of
starting a new thread; hope that's OK with the cyberbrass.

I would certainly want to interpret 2 Cor 5:16 within the context of the
conflict between Paul and his opponents in Corinth, given its location
in the midst of (in my opinion) letter D, namely 2 Cor 2:14-6:13 +
7:2-4. Paul is defending his own ministry as having to do with the
Spirit, and he makes a large contrast between his ministry, as he
implies, as knowing Jesus according to the Spirit, versus those who only
know Jesus according to the flesh. That way of knowing Jesus, by
listening to the teachings of Jesus before his death and even witnessing
miracles performed by Jesus before his death, Paul says, is now passé.
Paul has a different interest in Jesus than his opponents. At least
part of their claims to true apostleship seemed to center around their
connection with Jesus before his death and resurrection. I certainly
suspect that the letters of recommendation mentioned in 2 Cor 2 may have
been letters from other apostles who were seen to have experienced
Jesus' teaching and preaching (as Paul would say) "according to the
flesh."

Paul's rhetorical response to this is to say, in effect, "your
experience of Jesus before his death is fine as far as it goes -- but it
does not go very far. What matters now is the risen Christ." Paul is
saying that his authentication as an apostle is not by any means
inferior to those who go around carrying their letters of
recommendation. Paul contends that his experience of the risen Christ,
and the mission for which Christ has empowered Paul, are what truly
counts.

So I would say that "according to the flesh" in 5:16 certainly can refer
to the way Christ was known.

Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados