corpus-paul - Re: 2 Corinthians 5:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Ray Pickett" <rpickett AT lsps.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Corinthians 5:16
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:51:41 -0700

I have been away and am getting into this conversation rather late. However,
there is a classic article by J. L. Martyn entitled "Epistemology at the
Turn of the Ages" which makes a rather persuasive argument for understanding
"kata sarka" and "kata pneuma" as two different ways of knowing in 2 Cor.
5:16. The article is reprinted in his collection of essays THEOLOGICAL
ISSUES IN THE LETTERS OF PAUL.

Martyn's view, as I remeber it, is similar to the one articulated by Mark
below. In terms of the rhetorical context of this passage, I would note that
it seems to correspond to Paul's differentiation in 5:12 between those rival
apostles who boast "en proswpon" (kata sarka) and Paul, who boasts "en
kardia". This contrast seems to pervade the entire section.

Ray Pickett