corpus-paul - Re: 2 Corinthians 5:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Corinthians 5:16
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:27:41 -0400

I agree with the approach Mark Nanos takes to 2 Cor 5:16 and I think he
gives some good reasons for that view. My own reconstruction of the
situation finds too little reason to think that the opponents make claims
about knowledge of the historical Jesus. As Mark commented, this is a
polemically drawn contrast. What I want to add is that the basic
theological reason Paul makes such a contrast is his eschatology. It is a
question of whether one is participating in the eschatological reality that
determines which way of knowing one uses. This does not, I think, disagree
with what Mark said. Rather, it gives it a framework.

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone