corpus-paul - Re: Paul's "Thorn"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Rick Hubbard <rhubbard AT midmaine.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's "Thorn"
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:15:07 -0400

Ah yes, a thorny question for certain. It may be that there is no
completely defensible answer to your inquiry. Perhaps if you wish to
pursue it a bit further, it would be useful for you to examine the ways
in which Paul often contrasts "body" (SOMA) with flesh (SARX)
elsewhere. You may
find that in the context of 2Cor 12.7, Paul seems to refer to some
physical affliction, or you perhaps will not. In any case, I would
tread fairly lightly with the hypothesis that Paul's "thorn in the
flesh" in this text is a "woman."