corpus-paul - Re: hard evidence . . .

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sakari H�kkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hard evidence . . .
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:44:23 +0300

Jim Miller wrote:
> 1 Cor 16:1-2, as pointed out, speaks of
> private hoarding of contributions to be collected
communally at a later date.
I agree.
> The general lack of Sunday referents in Paul's
correspondence, which speaks
> frequently of church meetings, is itself a piece of
evidence.

Is it? At least not hard evidence.

>Why doesn't
> Paul ever specify the day of the week the church could be
expected to meet
> together? Did they just continue the synagogue tradition
(Sabbath), or meet
> on any day which seemed convenient or necessary?

Perhaps it is a pure coincidence that Paul never refers to
the day of the meetings. Howabout the Gentiles? They most
certainly did not _continue the synagogue tradition_. When
did they meet? I suggest that they had regular meetings, but
how often? Daily? Weekly?

> John 20:19 is interesting because it treats the
evening at the end of the
> 1st day as part of that 1st day -- a very un-Jewish way of
looking at days of
> the week.
Why should that be Jewish way? Do you think the author(s) of
Fourth Gospel was/were Jew(s)?

>However,
> verse 26 indicates the next meeting with Jesus was on a
Monday (which was the
> weekday of the previous meeting in Jewish reckoning). If
20:19 implies a
> later tradition of Sunday (evening) meetings, what of this
Monday meeting?
Why Monday? I do not understand your reckoning. IMHO just
this passage is a clear evidence for regular weekly meetings
on Sunday at the time of 4th Gospel. The question remains if
the same routine was already followed in those communities
that Paul wrote his letters to.

> And how far into the gospels should this newsgroup go?
Do not worry. Jeffrey or some other responsible for the list
will give us a friendly note if necessary.

Best wishes,

Sakari

Sakari Hakkinen, PhD
University of Helsinki