corpus-paul - Re: hard evidence for early opening to Gentiles

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hard evidence for early opening to Gentiles
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:15:54 -0800

Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

> Second, what, if any, other evidence could one possible point to in
> support of my argument against the claims of the Loisyite?

I guess I hesitate a bit at the notion of "evidence." It bespeaks a concept
of "truth" being secured by "testimony," etc. Anyway, it seems to me that
Paul's reference to himself as apostle to the Gentiles implies at least an
attempt to preach the gospel to them, and the fact his letters were
collected implies that he had some success at that. Now, as to the extent of
their presence and its importance, I suppose folks should take into account
the destruction of Jerusalem and its consequences for the topography of
early Christian history.

Finally, it seems a waste of time and effort to argue with those who want
either to date all references to Gentile Xianity to the second century or
understand all such references in the NT to be later interpolations -- are
there such folks? What "evidence" would convince them? Their interests are
ideological and the content of the texts is simply grist for the mill.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net