corpus-paul - Re: Gal 3:10-13

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 3:10-13
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:01:41 -0400

I think Jim Hester is on target when he says that "works of the law"
is Paul's caricature of the other teachers' demands. It seems to me
unlikely that circumcision is seen as the last step in becoming a proselyte,
as Mark N. argues, because I think 5:3 shows that the Galatians will be
surprised, even distressed, to hear that accepting circumcision means they
will be obliged to keep the whole Law. I say this because this statement is
the second in a list of three (Christ of no benefit the 1st and cut
yourselves off from Christ the 3rd) unacceptable consequences of accepting
circumcision.
What I think this indicates is that Paul is the one (perhaps only
one or at least one of the few) who thinks there is a big theological issue
at stake. I don't think the Galatians or the other teachers thought all
these theological matters were bound up with the question of circumcision.

Jerry
Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone