corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Opponents at Philippi

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <ellielliott AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Opponents at Philippi
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:40:32 -0600

Wendy Cotter gave a paper at the Chicago Society for Biblical Research a few
years back that argued that the "opponents" were pagans outside the church
community. I think it was published as:

"Our Politeuma is in Heaven: The Meaning of Philippians 3.17-21." In Origins
and Method: Towards a New Understanding of Judaism and Christianity: Essays
in Honour of John C. Hurd, ed. Bradley H. McLean. JSNT Supplement Series,
no. 86, 92-104. Sheffield, England: JSOT Press, 1993.

Hope this helps...

Elli Elliott (ellielliott AT msn.com)
Pastor, Zion United Church of Christ, Sterling, Colorado
PhD, New Testament & Early Christianity, Loyola University Chicago