corpus-paul - Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Carlton Winbery <winberyc AT popalex1.linknet.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:04:25 -0500

Richard Fellows wrote;
>Carlton L. Winbery wrote:
>>While Paul did not allow (re: Titus, not Timothy) gentiles to be made
>>Jewish converts, he did maintain his own Jewishness (see Stendahl, Paul
>>among Jews and Gentiles).
>
>This distinction cannot be sustained. Neither Paul nor Luke nor anyone else
>can have placed Timothy in a different category from other Gentile
>believers. He was uncircumcised and had a Gentile father, and that made
>him a Gentile. (See Shaye Cohen, 'Was Timothy Jewish (Acts 16:1-3)?
>Patristic Exegesis, Rabbinic Law, and Matrilineal Descent, JBL 105/2 (1986)
>251-268). It is thirteen years since Cohen's work was published and, as
>far as I know, no-one has been able to refute it, so why do some people
>still interpret Acts 16:1-3 in terms of matrilineal descent?

The problem is not how Jews see Timothy, but in the fact that Luke says
Paul had Timothy circumcised. Now Acts is certainly a secondary resource
and Luke (or someone else) may be wrong, but I think he's right. Paul's
whole argument falls apart in Galatians 2 if in fact Paul allowed Titus to
be circumcised. He may have, but I am not convinced that he did. That's the
major problem for the identification of Titus = Timothy (along with what
seems to me to be a misreading of 1 Cor.).

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery AT andria.lacollege.edu