corpus-paul - Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Carlton Winbery <winberyc AT popalex1.linknet.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:13:04 -0500

On the b-greek list the suggestion was made that the UBS4/N_A27 reading was
probably wrong. I think that the evidence (esp. transcriptional
probability) strongly favors the reading of this text.

The difficulty (that caused the other readings and most of the discussion
so far) is the meaning of the dative THi ELEUQERIAi. I would suggest that
it be understood as a dative of reference placed first by Paul for
emphasis, "With reference to freedom, Christ made us free; therefore stand
. . ." This is a strong way for Paul to introduce his following
discussion of the nature of this freedom. His previous discussion was
primarily "the law" which easily became a "yoke." Behind Galatians and
Romans there seems to be the idea of the oponents that "righteous by faith
apart from law" leads to the undisciplined life. Paul presents the life of
freedom with the demand of love as the controlling force behind his ethic
(5:6 "faith working through love." and the complete sentence in 5:13 which
ends . . . "thru love serve [be a slave to] one another."

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery AT andria.lacollege.edu