corpus-paul - RE: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:28:32 -0400

I thought Paul was of the tribe of Benjamin?
I don't know what the reference for that is.
Would someone of the tribe of Benjamin refer to himself as a Jew???
Were Levites called "Jews?"
When did the term "Jew" become the generic?
Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies
New York University