corpus-paul - Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Carlton Winbery <winberyc AT popalex1.linknet.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:47:40 -0500

Carl Conrad wrote;

>Initially the key questions raised about Gal 5:1 (by Brian Tucker) were:
>"Gal 5.1 begins with no transition and it seems a peculiar use of the dative
>case. Is it better to see it as advantage or purpose? My concern is how to
>understand THi ELEUQERIAi as a limitation of the verb HLEUQERWSEN. Second,
>Does STHKETE require one to break the sentence or is it grammatically
>connected with 5:1a?"

I would agree that this is not a common use of the dative, but I think that
Paul reduces the limitation of the verb HLEUQERWSEN by the noun THi
ELEUQERIAi to mere reference, but that he placed it first to draw attention
to the transition that this verse represents in the development of his
thought. Hence, "With reference to (our) freedom, Christ made us free!
Therefore stand (in freedom) and". . .. This would not be the only place
where Paul's strong feelings created syntactical problems for later
interpreters. Paul is not talking about a freedom that the Christian can
take or leave, he is talking about a situation that Christ created for us
and is essential not just to the beginning of the Christian life but is the
very essence of the living of it. (We are on C-P I hope.)

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery AT andria.lacollege.edu