corpus-paul - RE: beginner's guide to 'new perspective' - some qns

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: beginner's guide to 'new perspective' - some qns
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:09:43 -0400

This is correct up to here.

>but to *stay* in.

This is not correct. The Jew does not keep the covenant in order to "stay"
in. The Jew is in. He keeps the law because he is *commanded* to keep it.
God commands, and God rewards and God punishes, and God offers the
opportunity to repent. But all these, the rewards and the punishments, are
out of the covenantal relationship. Being punished by God for
transgressions is part of the covenant. This is stressed by Sanders.
Sanders states that the only way a Jew can get out of the covenant is to
disavow it, to apostasize. I wouldn't agree even with that.

Being 'in' in the first place was God's gift.
> This scheme Sander's famously labelled as 'covenantal nomism." (What St
> Paul Really Said, 19)
By "covenantal nomism" Sanders meant the nomism which is part of the
covenantal relationship. It is not to get in or to stay in.

Liz

> _____
> Russ Reeves
> russ-reeves AT uiowa.edu