corpus-paul - RE: beginner's guide to 'new perspective' - some qns

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Russ P. Reeves" <russ-reeves AT uiowa.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: beginner's guide to 'new perspective' - some qns
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:40:45 -0500

Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>

> It is my understanding that the Palestinian Judaism of -200 to +200 did not
> require Jews to observe the law to "stay in" the covenant. Nor does Sanders
> say that it did. According to Sanders, and according to everything I know,
> you are in because you are born in. There is punishment for sin for those in
> the covenant, but this punishment does not include excommunication nor is
> the punishment eternal.

So do you think N. T. Wright completely off base when he summarizes Sanders
as follows:

"Keeping the law within Judaism always functioned within a covenantal
scheme. God took the initiative, when he made a covenant with Judaism ...
God's grace thus precedes everything that people (specifically, Jews) do in
response. The Jew keeps the law out of gratitude, as the proper response
to grace - not, in other workds, in order to *get* into the covenant
people, but to *stay* in. Being 'in' in the first place was God's gift.
This scheme Sander's famously labelled as 'covenantal nomism." (What St
Paul Really Said, 19)

_____
Russ Reeves
russ-reeves AT uiowa.edu