corpus-paul - beginner's guide to 'new perspective' - some qns

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jonathan Ryder <jpr1001 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: beginner's guide to 'new perspective' - some qns
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:38:03 +0100

Dear C-P,

Following my earlier request ...

First, thanks to Jeffrey, Mark and Mike for their responses.

I've just read some of Dunn's earlier article which is useful as it starts
with
Sanders, putting him in context, and then goes on to detail his own new take
on Paul
as a result. I now have some initial questions which I'd be grateful if
C-Pers could
comment on.

Dunn characterises Sander's work (chiefly PPJ) as a new perspective on
Judaism (as
mentioned as the 'presupposition' of the NP by Mike Thompson) and that Sanders
himself, and those initially responding to/running with Sanders, comes up
with very
much an old perspective picture of Paul. Before turning to Paul himself, has
anyone
seriously contested Sanders NP on Judaism (ie provided a real alternative),
whether
from within Pauline studies or wider afield or can we say this is an 'assured
result'?

Dunn proceeds with 'an exegesis and description of Paul's theology from this
perspective'. Chiefly, he reassesses justification as (Jewish) covenant
language -
speaking of God's recognition/acknowledgement that someone is in the covenant
rather
than initiation or transfer terminology. Does Dunn hold the court here? or
are there
significant alternative understandings of justification, as used by Paul,
whether by
those who hold the new perspective or otherwise?

I'd be grateful for any references (kept at 'beginners' level for a 'quick'
grasp of
the issues), particularly re the 2nd question. Also, has anyone responded
directly to
Dunn's exegesis of Gal 2:16 in that article?

Thanks

Jonathan Ryder

Tyndale House
Cambridge