corpus-paul - Re: Pseudonymity of 2 Thessalonians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.GOODACRE AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pseudonymity of 2 Thessalonians
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:00:10 GMT

On 19 May 99 at 19:11, Michael Thompson wrote:

> Thanks for the installment, Frank. As I'm sure you know, Gerd Lüdemann has
> recently argued that 2 Thess was written not so much to correct as to
> replace/supplant 1 Thess, understanding 2 Thess 2.2 to allude to the first
> letter as a false document. He gave his view as a paper here in Cambridge
> last
> year, and I think it is part of his book _Heretics: The Other Side of Early
> Christianity_. I suspect someone has already argued this, but he is pushing
> the argument a bit further than anyone else I've seen.

We had the paper in Birmingham too (same tour, I imagine). It was published
in
_Heretics: The Other Side of Early Christianity_ (ET, London: SCM, 1996), pp.
108-19. In addition to the works cited by Frank Hughes, Lüdemann cites Adolf
Hilgenfeld, "Die beiden Briefe an die Thessalonicher nach Inhalt und
Ursprung",
_ZWTh_ 5 (1862), pp. 225-64 and Willi Marxsen's commentary.

Mark Goodacre
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
Aseneth Home Page
Recommended New Testament Web Resources