corpus-paul - Re: Pseudonymity of 2 Thessalonians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pseudonymity of 2 Thessalonians
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 10:04:06 -0500

The scholarly understanding of 2 Thessalonians as pseudonymous goes back to Johann Ernst Christian Schmidt in 1801 and Friedrich Heinrich Kern in 1839, as well as Ferdinand Christian Baur in Paulus, der Apostel Jesu Christi (1845). In order to save Pauline authorship of 2 Thessalonians, Hugo Grotius had reversed their order in the 1820s. Baur had held that both 1 and 2 Thess. were pseudonymous, but he also reversed their order in response to Richard Adelbert Lipsius!

++++++++++++++++++++

I want to add a slight correction to Frank Hughes's note above. Hugo Grotius lived from 1583-1645. He is one of the heros of International Law, a devotee to Arminianism, and supported historical philology as a method of interpretation.

Other than that, Frank's history is much appreciated. In fact, I wonder if Frank would be willing to survey the archives and summarize the discussion on both sides up to now. And add in the bibliography. It would perhaps advance the discussion.

And I might suggest that someone start a new thread on pseudepigrapy as a[n] [non-]acceptable form of authorship in the first century--excluding the canonical, inerrancy argument from the discussion, since that will not really add to the interchange.
Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street