corpus-paul - Re: beginner's guide to the 'new perspective'?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: beginner's guide to the 'new perspective'?
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:36:31 -0500

Jonathan Ryder wrote:

> Dear C-P
>
> This may have been discussed before on the list but it was before I
> subscribed and having skimmed the archives I figured it would be quicker
> to post.
>
> Can anyone suggest a book, article(s) or review(s) or textbook pages or
> online materials that gives a quick way in to the so-called 'new
> perspective'?
>
> What I'm really looking for are answers to questions like: what was old
> perspective? What are essential points of new perspective? What are main
> arguments for and against? Are there any subtle (or not so subtle)
> variations on either old or new of which I need to be aware?

I'd also be interested in seeing responses on this matter beyond what I have
suggest:

Besides almost anything by Ed Sanders there's

James D.G. Dunn, "The New Perspective on Paul," Bulletin of the John
Ryland's Library
65 (1982-83) 95-122.

N.T. Wright, _What Saint Paul Really Said_

Philip A. Cunningham, _Jewish Apostle to the Gentiles: Paul as He Saw Himself_

Ben Witherington, _The Paul Quest_.

R. Gundry, "Grace, Works, and Staying Saved in Paul," Biblica 66 (1985) 1-38.

On the old(er) interpretation, A. Schweitzer's work on Paul is invaluable.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson